The MET office have issueda yellow weather warning for heavy showers and thunderstorms for today (Monday Sept 9th).
The warning is in place until 8pm this evening.
A MET office spokesperson commented; “An area of heavy rain will turn more showery later this morning, with a risk of thunderstorms developing, which may be slow-moving in some places. Heavy showers and thunderstorms clearing away southwards early evening. 15-20 mm of rain could fall within an hour and 30-40 mm within 3-4 hours in a few places. Lightning and hail are also possible.”
What to expect
- Some flooding of a few homes and businesses likely, leading to some damage to buildings or structures
- There is a good chance driving conditions will be affected by spray, standing water and/or hail, leading to longer journey times by car and bus
- Delays to train services are possible
- Some short term loss of power and other services is possible
- Possibly some damage to a few buildings and structures from lightning strike
Watch the latest forecast by pressing / clicking play below. (You may need to rotate your device)