The Fire Service were called to reports of a thatch roof fire at Mark Herniman Hill, Crowcombe yesterday evening, March 24th which has taken almost 12 hours to stop.
Two fire engines from Williton, one from Nether Stowey, three fire engines from Taunton, one aerial ladder platform and the water carrier from Bridgwater, One fire engine and the incident command unit from Wiveliscombe, the high volume pump and 4 by 4 vehicle from Wellington were sent to this incident.
A spokesperson commented; “Once the crews got in attendance the officer in charge confirmed the thatch of the property to be well alight. Crews are currently at work trying to create a fire break by stripping the thatch off the roof of the property.”
“The crews also have four hose reel jets, one thatching lance, one compressed air foam jet, 2 main jets, 4 breathing apparatus, two 13.5 metre ladders and one roof ladder in use.”
“Due to the volume of smoke coming from this fire all residents within the area of Crowcombe are being advised to keep all windows and doors shut until the incident has been resolved.”
- Update 21:59 – The officer in charge has requested the attendance of four further appliances for personnel and breathing apparatus. One fire engine from Ilminster, one fire appliance from Bridgwater and one fire engine from Minehead were sent to this incident.
- Update 00:00 – This incident has now been scaled down to six pumps monitoring the property and dampening down hot spots. The crews now have two hose reel jets, two safety jets, one 13.5 metre ladder, one 10.5 metre ladder, two roof ladders and three thermal imaging cameras in use.
- Update 05:00 – This incident has now been scaled down to three pumps still monitoring the property and dampening down hot spots.
- Update 08:00 – This incident caused 75% fire damage to the roof of two thatched properties, 50% fire and water damage to the first floor and 25% fire and water damage to the ground floor. However the fire fighters salvaged 90% of the properties contents. Fire fighters remained on the scene monitoring the properties and dampening down hot spots.
The cause of this fire is believed to be accidental.