Investment to improve Taunton Deane’s cemeteries and crematorium has been agreed by Borough Councillors.
An extra £94,000 is being allocated to provide:
- Extra space in Wellington Cemetery for up to 100 graves, enough for the next decade.
- Up to 120 new grave spaces at St Mary’s Cemetery in Taunton to allow more location choice for bereaved people and the re-introduction of traditional memorials.
- A memorial walkway and extra plots where ashes can be interred at Taunton Crematorium. This will provide a tranquil area for remembrance.
- A new children and babies’ garden at the Crematorium to create a special place where memorials can be placed. The council wants to work with child bereavement charities to make sure the design and layout is appropriate.
- A natural burial/remembrance area at the Crematorium in a natural spinney/copse to provide an alternative to the formal memorial and burial options.
Cllr Patrick Berry, whose environmental health portfolio includes cemeteries and the crematorium, said: “This investment will provide the extra space that is needed and – importantly – provide areas where the bereaved can remember their loved ones. It is so important that people have a tranquil and dignified place to visit at a time of loss.”
Image courtesy of Stockvault – freeimageslive