Several schools in Taunton and right across Somerset will be closed tomorrow (Tuesday, July 5th) as teachers go on strike.
Last month, the National Union of Teachers (NUT) announced that members in England had voted overwhelmingly in favour of strike action to protect pay and working conditions.
The strike demands are to increase funding to schools and education, guarantee terms and conditions in all types of schools, and to resume negotiations on teacher contracts to allow workload to be addressed.
- Holway Park Primary School Taunton
- Selworthy School, Taunton
- Wembdon St George’s C of E Primary School, Wembdon, Bridgwater
- Ansford Academy, Castle Cary
- Christ Church First School Frome. Christ Church School Nursery is open as usual
- Churchfield Church School, Highbridge
- Crowcombe CE VA Primary School, Crowcombe
- Elmhurst Junior School, Street
- Fairlands Middle School, Cheddar
- Hemington Primary School, Hemington
- Kings of Wessex Academy, Cheddar
- North Curry CofE Primary School
- Reckleford School and Nursery, Yeovil
- Stogumber CE VC Primary School, Stogumber. The King Alfred School Year 7 camp will go ahead as planned
- Vallis First School
- Wembdon St George’s CofE Primary School
- West Somerset College, Minehead
Schools partially opened:
- Avalon School, Street
- Bowlish Infant School. The school will be open for two classes: Owl and Woodpecker Class.
- Five ways School. Pupils in following classes affected: Buttons, Pebbles, Class 2, Class 4, Sixth form
- Hamp Nursery & Infants School, Bridgwater. Classes 2 and 9 will be closed on 5th July 2016 due to industrial action. All other classes will be open as usual. Classes 2 and 9 will reopen on 6th July 2016.
- Huish Episcopi Academy. The school is open for Years 7, 10 and 12. Trips to Wimbledon,
- Cambridge University and Bristol Zoo will go ahead as normal. The school is closed for Year 8 and Year 9 students
- Milford Junior School. Children in the following classes should not come to school on Tuesday 5th July as there will be no one available to supervise them: Class 3M Class 3CW Class 4F Class 4HP Class 4H Class 4C Class 6H Class 6N Class 6PR Class 6T Class 5H will have teaching cover in the afternoon. The children are expected to come in to school at 12 noon, through the school office, to have lunch and their afternoon lessons as normal. There will be school as usual for the following classes: Class 3P Class 3W Class 5RS Class 5V Class 5W. There will be no Multisports club after school. Athletics club will run as normal.
- Somerset Bridge Primary School, Bridgwater. The school will be open to pupils in Year 1, Year 5 and Year 6, and closed to pupils in Reception, Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4 on Tuesday 5th July due to industrial action. The school will reopen to all classes on Wednesday 6th July 2016. The nursery will remain open on Tuesday 5th July.
- Charlton Horethorne CofE VA Primary School, Charlton Horethorne
- Chewton Mendip VA Primary School, Chewton Mendip
The decision on whether to remain open or closed has been made by individual head teachers.
Where a school is not listed it means no details have been provided to the Council.