TAUNTON Deane Borough Council is encouraging people to have their say during the second Highways England consultation on improvements to the A358.
The consultation on the section of road between the M5 and A358 at the Southfields roundabout near Ilminster started today and runs for six weeks until February 27. Details can be found here: http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/a358-taunton-to-southfields
A single proposal for widening the A358 between Southfields Roundabout on the A303 and West Hatch is being presented for comment, along with a number of options for the West Hatch to M5 section.
Leader of the council John Williams welcomed Highways England’s proposal to upgrade the A358 as part of a wider programme to improve access between the M3 and the M5, saying: “This is a long held ambition of ours and our partners across the South West.
“Clearly we had concerns, as did others, about the single option consultation which took place last year and are pleased that Highways England agreed to undertake this additional consultation. “We will be assessing the options and the detailed information that sits behind them once it is made public on 16 January.”
The Council’s Community Scrutiny meeting on 6 February will be considering a draft response to proposals before Taunton Deane’s response is finalised.
“The Council was clear – and remains clear – that we want to see the project deliver an effective Henlade bypass while providing a safe and convenient access to both Taunton and the Nexus 25 development – the large employment site close to the M5 junction.
“It is important that those people interested in the project go to the consultation events and provide their comments to Highways England,” said Cllr Williams.
Highways England is holding a number of public exhibitions:
- Saturday 20 January 12pm to 8pm: Holiday Inn Taunton Deane Gate Avenue, TA1 2UA.
- Tuesday 23 January, 12pm to 8pm: The Monks Yard, Horton Cross Farm, Horton Cross, Ilminster, TA19 9PT.
- Wednesday 24 January, 12pm to 8pm: Hatch Beauchamp Village Hall, Village Road, Hatch Beauchamp, TA3 6SG.
- Friday 26 January, 12pm to 8pm: Holiday Inn Taunton Deane Gate Avenue, TA1 2UA.
- Thursday 1 February, 12pm to 8pm: The Wyvern Club, Mountfields Road, TA1 3BJ.
- Wednesday 21 February, 9.30am to 12pm: St Mary Village Hall, Stoke St Mary, TA3 5BY.
- Wednesday 21 February, 2pm to 5.30pm: Ruishton Village Hall, TA3 5JD.
Information will also be available to view at public information points throughout the consultation. These include: Taunton Deane Borough Council (The Deane House), Somerset County Council (County Hall A Block reception), South Somerset District Council (Brympton Way reception), Ilminster Meeting House and Arts Centre, Henlade Post Office, Blackbrook Leisure Centre and Spa, as well as Taunton, South Petherton and Martock Libraries and Somerset’s Mobile Library.
Image courtesy of Google